The Town Khandwa has the proud to be the Head Quarter of District East Nimar. Due to its location on the map of India, it has been enjoying visits of great Indians. In the past (age of British Government), this was a place alone connecting northern, eastern, southern and western rail routes.Delhi(North) and Bombay(South) (now Mumbai) and Baroda (West) was directly connected whereas Calcutta was accessible through Bhusawal Junction. Hence Swami Dayananda Saraswati, Swami Vivekananda, Mahatma Gandhi, Lokmanya Tilak and many more great personalities visited the place during there all India visit. The Location, easy availability of resources and other socio-economic factors are in favour of making the place a very good Industrial region.The place has several ancient kunds., English architecture and religious places.
The place is located at Bombay-Delhi central line and north of Burhanpur. The place has been the district Head quarter since 1864. The place has four historic kunds in its four direction namely Suraj kunda, Padma kund, Bhima kunda, Rameshwar kund. The buildings of Collector office, Girls Degree College, Ghantaghar are Among the ancient monuments. Dada Dhuni wale ki samadhi, Turja Bhavani Temple, Nav-chandi Devi Dham are the places of faith & worship of Hindus.
How to Reach:
Nearest Airport is Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar Airport, Indore Airport is about 140 KM from Khandwa.
Khandwa Junction is on Mumbai-Bhusawal-Itarsi-Delhi route. From Bhopal it is about 280 KM, From Delhi and Mumbai, approximate distances are One Thousand KMs,Six Hundred KMs. Respectively.
From Indore about 140 KM apart. From Bhopal there are 3 routes, One via hoshangabad (280 KM), via Ashta-Punasa (260 KM) and via Indore (320 KM). Baroda of Gujrat and Amarawati of Maharastra state are connected by Road